Monday, November 29, 2010

Red Brocade Dress

Another version of the vinage boatneck dress I have recently fallen in love with.
Made of Red and gold brocade, fully lined with a side zipper and pockets.

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Skirt for Irene

This lovely silk taffeta skirt can convert from an ankle length full skirt into an above the knee bustled confection. Double faced satin ribbon bows at the waistband give it a little sheen and some extra interest around the waist.
The client was looking for her inner goth fairy/ballerina fantasy to be fulfilled and I do believe this fits the bill.........
She's picking it up tomorrow so we'll see....


Nunway 2

I just completed the wimple and veil for Sister Mary Ralph for Nunway 2 -
I just have 4 more pieces to finish now!

Monday, November 22, 2010

Men's shirt collar

Of course I didn't get a picture of the shirt before the client picked it up but I did get a picture of the collar with openings for collar stays. This is the first time I have made a nice tailored men's dress shirt and I am rather proud of it.

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thanksgiving frock

I can't claim to have made this but with some help I fit it to me and trimmed it. It is a great pea green sixties fancy dress - I got it with shreds where sleeves used to be and it was about 2-3" too big all around the bodice. It will be just as comfy as sweats once turkey coma sets in and looks a million times better than sweats. I also made a coordinating neck ruff of the left over trim.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Something super cool for Andy

The parameters for this project were: shiny and tactile.

Sounds easy but generally when fabric is shiny it is not soft or fuzzy. Fuzzy fabric is generally not too shiny.
My solution was a super soft faux fur/chenille sort of fabric mixed with a great turquoise brocade - luckily I found them in coordinating colors.
Upon seeing the finished jacket and wearing it he announced that it will be his new woobie - people will be tired of seeing him in it long before he tires of wearing it.
I think it looks like I skinned a chinese imperial muppet.
In any case, I am happy with the result and he is very happy with it so my work here is finished.....

burgundy silk cape for winter

silk capelet of burgundy silk with gold/burgundy silk lining.
Fancy, fancy!


This was a casual fail. It was supposed to be a dress for wearing to the park or on a Saturday running errands. Not so casual, so I decided to redo (note to self: velvet ribbon never equals casual) . The plan is to take the red trim off this dress and redo with something a little less fancy.

In the mean time, I found a black cotton stretch sateen with blue and green flowers - nice casual fabric! I used a high waisted dress pattern with a flared waist. It's a good low-key dress pattern - tried, true and I know it fits the client.

Failed again

I think I have a casual block. At least the client also needed a dress which was wedding appropriate so it all works out in the end. I'll tackle the casual one again and hopefully update.

At last - we have the internet again! It went down mid October so I have been itching to post for a few weeks now and unable to.