Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Wedding dress that made it all better.....




Every time I sew a wedding dress I swear it will be the last one. I usually windup making slave wages in the end and am frustrated beyond belief with brides that aren't totally clear on what they want.
This one was fairly easy to make and Miranda was great to work with. She brought me the sad first attempt at a dress that someone else had tried to make.
Silk peu de soi does not make a good underlining those of you that are wondering. The first seamstress had used fusible interfacing on the silk for the foundation. The foundation was too small to fit the bride, although the outer dress zipped up just fine over the foundation. Ugh what a mess! Luckily the bride had purchased more than enough silk and I had a go at it - It took about 30 hours and worked a bit better with a cotton twill underlining and some light boning. She also wanted an outerskirt of flowered fabric which turned out so much better than I thought it would. I made it detachable and interlined it with silk organza.

No comments:

Post a Comment